Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Most rewarding, most challenging

After interning at the American Lung Association for a few months, the most rewarding part of my job was hearing stories from the Lung Heroes. Lung Heroes are the people who inspire, encourage, and are the reasons why we raise money for lung diseases and raise awareness for the importance of lung health. As a Special Events Intern, I worked directly with people in the community and heard countless stories of people affected by lung disease and how the work of the Lung Association is necessary. There is a very rewarding feeling about doing work for a non-profit that has such a profound impact in the lives of others in the community I live in through the programs, training classes, and events. The most challenging part of my internship was trying to explain and convey the importance of lung health to others. Most people don’t know, but lung cancer is the #1 killer of men and women in the United States, and is nearly preventable. The struggle between addiction and fundraising for lung disease is a hard conversation to have with some people, because it has such an impact on so many lives. Overall, I loved the experience I had at the American Lung Association and loved the culture of the organization! I learned a lot of transferable skills at my internship that I am excited to continue to use in my future career.



Caitlin Tulaney
Human Resources

No comments:

Post a Comment